Monday, September 5, 2011

The challenge begins...

September has arrived and with it a new challenge!   A whole MONTH of wearing self stitched clothing.  For those of you who haven't heard refashion extraordinaire blogger - Zoe is the instigator and she challenges sewists around the world to wear our own handmade creations for a whole month.  We can share our daily outfits on our blogs, Flickr, there's even a  Facebook page... or not!  It's up to us.

Before taking the SSS '11 pledge I thought long and hard (well, maybe not too hard) about it as I don't have a large amount of handmade clothing but the sense of community it generates is great!  Here's my pledge:

I, Shelly of Shelly's D.I.Y. Style! , sign up as a participant of Self-Stitched-Sept '11. I endeavour to wear at least one self made item each day for the duration of September 2011.

Having taken the pledge in June you will have seen most of my self-stitched clothing before and I don't want to bore you all again with the same things so I thought I would only post every few days with my daily outfits.

Day 1

What I wore:
Dress: Handmade blogged here  worn to work. 
Bangles: Diva
Tights: Bonds
Boots: Williams the Shoeman

Thoughts:
This a a fabulously comfortable dress to wear but the fabric is not warm enough for winter wearing.  It's the first day of Spring and we had a nice warm day, windy but warm.  For warmer days it needs shorter sleeves (I've pushed them up here)


Day 2


What I wore:
Dress: Handmade a couple of years ago,  blogged here worn out shopping.
Top: Suzanne Grae
Tan belt: A little dress shop, can't remember the name
Tights: Bonds
Boots: Target

Thoughts:
Another comfy dress but outfit lacking in colour.  I think this would be great made up as a top to wear over jeans.


Day 3


What I wore:
Top:  Handmade, Simplicity 4076 not blogged, worn out shopping. 
Coral singlet top: Just Jeans
Tan belt: Tempt, not seen but required to keep jeans up.
Jeans: Sussan, purchased too long ago to remember
Bangles: Diva
Shoes: Nike


Day 4



What I wore:
Top:  Handmade, Simplicity 4076 not yet blogged, worn for Father's Day bbq. 
Cardigan: Tempt, purchased last year
Tan belt: Tempt, not seen but required to keep jeans up
Jeans: Sussan, purchased too long ago to remember
Boots: Kmart


Thoughts:
I love this top.  Same style as yesterday with a different sleeve.   It's a great basic and a perfected TNT pattern.



2 comments:

  1. My wardrobe has reached a point where nearly every day of the year meets the self-stitched criteria. But I don't participate in Zoe's SSS because I can't be bothered with daily photographs. You've made some great practical outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, definitely fixed, and I'm happy to have "found" you again!
    Good luck with your self-stitched September challenge; as Gail has said the daily photos are the biggest hurdle...

    ReplyDelete

Comments! Yay, I love comments...