Wednesday, April 15, 2015

What I'm working on

I thought it was high time I dropped in to give you an update of what I've been doing since my last post.  I didn't realise how long it's been.  I've been so busy starting projects but unfortunately not getting any of them finished.  Note to self; I must try harder to complete projects before starting new ones. One of those was a project for Jungle January of which I had everything ready to go, but got busy with extra hours at work and some health issues and it got put on hold and now I'm thinking it will have to wait until next summer.

Workshop sample - Whitework

I've also been working on an embroidery project from a workshop I did at the beginning of March and that's still a work in progress.  Slow and steady wins the race, right?  I've been working on a cross stitch as well.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who works on several projects at the same time.

With our Racing Carnival coming up in May I need an outfit to wear and I'm currently working on that.  I decided I wanted to make a coat this year from a pattern I purchased in 2009 but haven't made up yet.  This is my first time making a coat; surprising really since I've been sewing for so long.  I guess it's one of those things that scare me.  I'm not sure why but it does. Anyway, I figured if I'm going to go to the effort of making a coat I wanted to do it properly. I often have issues with fit because I'm lazy and don't do all the adjustments and make a muslin like I should before I cut my fabric but I really want to do this right.  I've made two muslins and think it's a pretty good fit.

I selected a nice jaquard fabric and washed it according to the instructions on the bolt.  I never pre-treat my fabric before sewing but there's a first time for everything and boy am I glad I decided to do it.  The result...

Top fabric pre shrunk, bottom fabric as purchased

I cant believe how much it SHRANK!  15 cm!! Yes you read that right. 15cm across the width.  I don't know what I lost in the length.  It never occurred to me to measure it, not being something I usually do and all that, until I had cut half of the pieces out at which time I realised I didn't have enough fabric.  OMG what do I do now!  Maybe there is still some left; at the very least I have to let the store know about this.  I raced back to the store and yes they had some left.  Phew!  Breathe a sigh of relief.  They gave me the rest of the bolt - 1.8 meters, at no charge.  I hope there wont be any more problems like this to give me more reason to be scared of making coats, or maybe that's part of the challenge I have to come to terms with. 

Do you have a fear of making certain garments?  Are your fears justified?  Do share what they are in the comments.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments! Yay, I love comments...