Friday, May 10, 2013

Goodnight; sleep tight




After my last post, I must say I was really itching to get some sewing done.  Actually, I've been feeling this way for a while, but time has been a scarce commodity of late.  Anyhoo, I wanted a nice quick project to get me going and at the same time I wanted to work on my stash. 

With the weather cooling down quite a bit at night recently I found I was in desperate need of some new winter pj's, several pairs actually.  I found the perfect piece of fabric; a piece of flannelette I've had for around 12 months bought especially to make some pajamas.  I laid it out; placed my pattern on... oh no! Not enough fabric.  I know I'm short but what was I thinking when I bought it; must've been having a senior moment, duh!  Everyone does that don't they?  No?  Oh well...!  I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out how to make it work so back it goes and another search ensues resulting in more flannelette.  Now this fabric, also bought for pj's, has been in the stash for...I dunno, maybe 10 - 15 years.  I bought it back in a previous sewing life.  Will there be enough this time?  Oh I hope so, I really want to get sewing.  The fabric was so skinny I wasn't sure I could use this one either.   Luckily I could.  

The pattern I used is Simplicity 7071 and I've had it even longer than the fabric.  I didn't want just plain pj's, I wanted to do something a little different and I've got an old pair with a faux fly front so I copied the idea and just eyeballed the shape.  I didn't get it quite right but it's not bad.  It'll do, after all they're just pajamas, right?



They went together so quickly and easily I thought what the heck, I can make the other fabric work so out it came again and I ended up with this pair as well.  Pattern matching was a nightmare (no pun intended. He he!)  It's a printed pattern not a woven one and it wasn't straight so with the shortage of fabric I didn't get too fussy.   I added an unfilled piping and a band around the bottom of the leg to get the length I needed.  For the tops; what do you like?  I like the comfort of t-shirt tops and I'm just using some old ones that are being downgraded.



I'm pretty happy with that. Two items in one week - yay!  I also reckon this qualifies as my stashbusting for the month too, maybe even sewlutions.  Now I can sleep in warmth and comfort.

Good night; sleep tight!








3 comments:

  1. I would love to sleep in that second fabric, and have my little Noah sleep in the first one. lol. they look so soft. I think you've got your sewing strategy down. sewing easy wins is a good idea, because you get your sewing fix without all the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your PJ´s look so comfy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pyjamas turned out great, and well done for getting them out of a skinny piece of fabric :)
    Here's something funny; I made my winter pyjama bottoms using that same gingham flannelette, in the very same colour too! Great minds think alike! It is so warm and snuggly :)

    http://handmadebycarolyn.blogspot.com/2012/04/gingham-pjs.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments! Yay, I love comments...