Thursday, October 25, 2012

Brown paper bag quilt...

For the next installment of quilts I decided on this one. Windblown Leaves.  I know this is a sewing blog not a quilting blog and I promise I will show you what I've been working on soon but in the meantime...

Windblown Leaves

This quilt was made in an extended class my friend D talked me into attending with her several years ago.  I can't remember now, but it was something like about 12 hours for this class.  Lunchtime till midnight.   Aaaand, I just might add, that is way too long - we were delirious by the end,  so tired we had no clue what we were doing.  Still, it was fun!

As this was a brown paper bag (read - mystery) quilt there was no class description so we had no idea what this quilt would look like until we had finished it.  We were required to bring along one dark fabric, one light fabric and a contrast fabric.  As you can see (you can see can't you - it's not a very good photo) I chose a very dark chocolate brown -yeah I know; it looks black but take my word for it it is brown, a white and teal blue for the contrast.  We were instructed to cut each of the fabrics into strips then stitch certain lengths and colours together.  The design eventually became obvious as we progressed through the steps.  The final step was to add the contrast border then the larger border.  I decided to use up my scraps and add in another two small borders.  Finally, I had it machine quilted by my friend D of Addicted to Quilts and it now hangs on the wall of my sewing room.

It was amazing to see how different each quilt made in the class looked depending on everyone's fabric choices.  This was a simple quilt and a lot of fun to make as it kept us guessing what the end result would look like.

Have you ever made anything that was a mystery right to the end?  Experienced the thrill of not knowing the outcome and the satisfaction of achievement when you reached the end...

You should try it - I have!

1 comment:

Comments! Yay, I love comments...