Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hooray! The Postie Came

Look what was in my mailbox today!
When I first saw A Stitch In Time: Vintage Knitting and Crochet Patterns 1920-1949  I knew I just had to have it.  I have a real weakness for vintage designs.  They really inspire me.

It's a re-publication of the 1972 classic "A Stitch In Time" by Jane Waller, a collection of original knitting and crochet patterns from the 1920s through the 1940s.  Sixty of the original patterns and illustrations (sorry, I didn't take photo's of the original patterns) are included in the book along with stunning colour photo's of each design and new adaptations using contemporary yarns.





I waited with anticipation for this to arrive and I certainly wasn't disappointed.   Aren't these knitting designs gorgeous!   There are so many beautiful things to make I don't know where to start.  Possibly the pale green frilly jumper, but then again......

The book includes the usual information at the start like tension, crochet terminology etc.  but there are a few techniques I don't know how to do so will have to research them first.  They are explained but I don't understand.  Call me dumb... but I think I need pictures or to be shown how.

It's a great book saving the practical pattern instructions for posterity while providing a social history as seen through the magazines and leaflets of the times.

Do you knit?  What are you knitting?

PS  Sorry about the light glare in the photo's.  I got a new SLR camera a few days, still learning how to use it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm an admirer rather than a doer of knitting. I love the 'Feminine Look" top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of that book, I think it might already be on my Amazon wish list in fact. I'm itching to start a vintage knit project - I need to justify all the vintage patterns I've been collecting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you were close so that you could teach me how to knit. I have seen so many beautiful knitted items.

    ReplyDelete

Comments! Yay, I love comments...