Friday, September 20, 2013

I'm so excited!!

The postie brought me a fabulous gift today.


A wonderful pattern drafting kit.  Pattern drafting is something I've wanted to try for quite some time. I've read several blog posts in the past talking about how you have attended various classes and I know many of you are self taught via books and online tutorials.  All these methods are certainly good ways of learning how to draw and make your patterns for your personal shape and size.

Giving some thought to all the different ways to learn about pattern drafting I started to investigate the method that would suit me best.  My first preference is to attend classes (I love the social contact) because I can ask questions as I'm working when I don't comprehend the instructions and receive an answer immediately.  This gives me a greater understanding of how to achieve what I'm trying to do.  I wanted a class that was about one week long however, here in Victoria I wasn't able to find a class less than 12 months duration and the fees were out of my price range; I want to learn more quickly than that. 

There are many different systems for pattern drafting advertised in sewing magazines and I thought maybe one of these is for me so I started to check them out.  After looking at several of them I eventually I decided on the Sure-Fit Designs system.  It looked so simple to use and comes with everything you need to draft your patterns except pens.  Value-wise with everything you get I went for the works.  I got it all!!

 
There's a dress kit, a shirt kit, and a pants kit.


 Also a children's kit and a men's pants kit.


There's instruction books and DVD's, even online videos to help you learn the ins and outs.

 

And you get all the tools required including design sheets to draw your patterns.


Each separate kit has the base block and includes everything you need to draw the pattern. 



With the base already drawn, virtually all you have to do is join the dots for your personal measurements. Easy Peasy!!

I can't wait to start watching the DVD's and get started. 





6 comments:

  1. I've been going back and forth between Lutterloh Sytem and Sure Fit Designs as a gift suggestion from my husband for Christmas I'll be very interested to know how you like this . I'm sure you will. It sounds great. I've watched some of the videos and they seem good. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The content of the videos is what decided me on Sure-Fit. It appears that you get so much more than other systems with the Sure-Fit system. I'll update when I've had a chance to watch the DVD's and try it out :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great looking kit, and lots to keep you busy. I've been on a pattern buying spree lately too, perhaps I should have looked at something like this instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a perfect gift and a great idea, start to make your own patterns sounds great! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and the wonderful clothes that you will get from this. Do you have any proyect already prepared?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I'd love to have that curved ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely blouse, the collar is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Comments! Yay, I love comments...