Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Grey on a not so grey day




It's been so cold and wet here lately I've been waiting for some decent weather to wear my new hoodie and finally we got some last weekend.  I wanted something I could wear for those cooler days of Autumn, something that will wear well with layers or just on it's own and Kwik Sew 3667 was exactly what I was looking for.  Over the last couple of years I've been trying to add some colour to my clothes but this time I felt the need for something a little less interesting, a neutral.  The kind of colour I feel the most comfortable in and works with most everything else.  I didn't want a dark colour and thought a light grey fleece would be perfect but then I found this jersey knit which looks and feels very similar to a ponte knit, in this grey, kinda beige...let's call it a greige colour and I love it.

It was so quick and very, very easy to make up.  It took an afternoon of interrupted sewing to make.  The most difficult part was...oh, yes, that's right, there wasn't anything difficult about it unless you want to count threading up three machines difficult.  Well, yeah that was!  What is it with overlockers not wanting to play nicely?  I really like the loose and simple styling of this pattern and even though I like to dress casually I don't normally wear this kind of thing, I prefer something more fitted, however I can see myself wearing it often as it's so comfortable and will probably make it up again.  Don't worry though, I wont be getting into tracky dacks any time soon; they are definitely NOT my thing.  I can see myself wearing it with a straight skirt too.  That might be my next project...

Good old Aussie fly's; see the one on my arm, they stick to you like glue!


Details:
Hoodie; Kwik Sew 3667, view A
Top; Suzanne Grae 
Jeans; Just Jeans
Shoes; Nike



My review of this pattern:


Pattern Description:
Pullovers have a double wide waistband.  View A has wide three-quarter length sleeves, kangaroo pocket and hood.  View B has boat neckline, extended shoulders, deep armholes finished with narrow hems.

Pattern Sizing:
XS - XL.  I made size S.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, very easy. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I particularly like that this pattern was so quick and easy to sews.  The only dislike I had was the all over amount of ease and too much gathering at the waistband.

Fabric Used:
I used a double knit jersey, similar in weight and feel to a Ponte knit.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I shortened the length by 6cm and the sleeve length by 2.5cm.  Because I made a smaller size than I would normally make due to the amount of ease this pattern had I also added some width on the waistband to fit my hip which also reduced the amount of gathering.  After seeing the photos; the pocket comes up too high so if I make it again I would shorten the pocket as well.

Would you sew it again?  Would you recommend it to others?
It's not a style I usually wear so probably not but I would definitely recommend it for others.

Conclusion:
I found this top to be a super quick and easy pattern to sew.  It was very comfortable to wear even though I prefer more fitted styles so if it's a style you would wear I suggest you consider trying it.





2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely brilliant on you! I have this pattern too, and have made up an almost identical hoodie to yours, and used the identical words to describe making it.

    http://handmadebycarolyn.blogspot.com.au/2010/10/hoodie-mccloud.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes overlockers can run hot and cold when they should just sew.
    Great hoodie - the sleeves do it for me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments! Yay, I love comments...