Friday, February 8, 2013

Oooh...1940s my favourite decade

With my ever growing infatuation obsession with the 1940s I've been wanting to try out some vintage patterns.  I've got a few that were my mother's, I've collected a few from thrift stores, ebay, etsy, etc and I have several reproduction patterns all waiting for me to make a decision on which will be the first to join my wardrobe.   My last post showed that I decided to play it safe with a very classic style skirt which wouldn't make me feel self conscious to wear a vintage outfit.  I really want to start including vintage outfits into my daily life like so many others most of them much younger that me, that I read about in our wonderful blogging community.    Yeah, I know, I'm not 20 anymore and I have the greatest fear of looking like 'mutton dressed as lamb'.  I feel there is a real stigma with people wearing clothing that is not modern and contemporary but my love of these vintage styles is slowly taking over my life and ya know what, I don't care anymore.



When I saw that Rochelle over at Lucky Lucille is hosting Sew for victory! A 40s Sewing Challenge I thought what an opportunity to indulge in this all consuming love of 1940's.

I decided that I will make a dress for this sewalong.  I've narrowed it down to a couple of dresses and now I just have to decide which one.



Sense and Sensibility's A 1940s "Swing" Dress.  I love wrap styles, they're so flattering.



Butterick 1411, View A; this is another one of my Mother's dresses.  Isn't the collar cute?



A reproduction; Vogue V8728.  This is the first reproduction pattern I ever bought and I haven't made it yet.



Australian Home Journal pattern #5963  - the green dress.  I love the faux collar on this one.



Another Australian Home Journal pattern #5966 - the red one.  I like the interesting line on the bodice/midriff and the shirring details.

They're all so nice, it's hard to choose.  I think I'm favouring either the Swing dress or the Butterick.  Which one would you choose?





2 comments:

  1. Oooh, what beautiful patterns, I love inspirational posts like this to wonder at. I think I'd find it too hard to choose just one, but strangely I'd consider the reproduction one as it's such an unusual style in the bodice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bodice detail too - that's what attracted me to this pattern in the first place.

    ReplyDelete

Comments! Yay, I love comments...